The house and gardens are located in an extremely favoured and sheltered location on the Colligan River Estuary. The gardens are surrounded on all sides by a cut limestone wall which was constructed at the same time as the house (1819). The perimeter wall which borders the estuary for 75% of its length helps to gives the protection necessary for the survival of many tender and half hardy plants and shrubs. The soil is light, free draining and fertile. The combination of these factors means that the gardens enjoy a micro climate which allows a large number of exotic, rare and unusual Mediterranean, South African, Australian and other sub tropical plants to be grown successfully. Some of the features include a rose garden containing many historic old roses and scented hybrid tea roses no longer in commerce. There are over 160 metres of 3-4 m wide shrub & herbaceous borders up to 4m wide running throughout the front and rear gardens. All parts of the gardens are available for our guests to relax in and enjoy. The rose garden, rear garden and estuary garden have tables and seating available for guests use.
A large range of wildlife is supported by the varied habitat and vegetation in the one acre mature gardens. The eco friendly gardens have been deliberately developed as a haven for wildlife and attract a wide variety of birds and butterflies. Harbour seals are regular visitors in the estuary beside the house.
The Estuary Garden | Wetland birds